Department of Geochemistry and Petrology
Head of the Department:
Assoc.Professor Peter Marchev, Ph.D.
Res.Prof. Angel Kounov, D.Sc.
Assoc.Prof. Peter Marchev, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Yotzo Yanev
Assoc.Prof. Vassil Arnaudov, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Lilan Daieva, Ph.D.
Res.Assoc. Mariana Josiffova, Ph.D.
Res.Assoc. Mitko Popov, Ph.D.
Res.Assoc. Herzinta Belmustakova, Ph.D.
Res.Assoc. Rositza Ivanova, Ph.D.
Res.Assoc. Alexsander Hadzhiev
Res.Assoc. Atanas Hikov
Res.Assoc. Alexander Vlahov
Ms. Nadezhda Velinova
Ms. Raya Raycheva
List of the professors:
Res.Prof. Milko Kanazirski ,D.Sc. (pensioner)
Res.Prof. Angel Kounov, D.Sc.
Prof. Ivan Velinov, D.Sc.,Corresp.Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (pensioner)
Prof. Dimitar Kozhuharov, Ph.D. dead april 2005
- Geochemistry of igneous and metamorphic rocks and mineral deposits;
- Radiogeochronology; pollution around mines, metallurgical plants etc.
- Petrology of Igneous Rocks; Metasomatic Alterations Related to Hydrothermal Mineral Deposits
- Geochemistry of the metamorphic rocks in the Central Rhodope Mts.;
- Migmatization and granite formation in NW Rila Mt.;
- Isotopic geochemistry and radiogeochronology of Phanerozoic metamorphic and
igneous complexes in NW Rila and Eastern Rhodope Mts.;
- Geochemistry of gold in copper deposits of Bulgaria;
- Regularities in the distribution of heavy metals in soils,plants and waters in the
Sofia depression controlled by technogenic processes;
- Computer processing of petrological and geochemical information, etc.
- Geological and petrological model (stratigraphy and volcanism) of the Upper Cretaceous island arc in the western and central Srednogorie Zone;
- Composition and structure of the metasomatites in mineral deposits, Eastern Srednogorie and Eastern Rhodope;
- Alpine magmatism in the Balkan - Minor Caucasus segment of the Eurasian active continental margin;
- Magmatic substratum in the continental-arc petrogenesis (on the example of the Eocene - Oligocene Rhodope magmatism);
- Acid-sulphate and adularia-sericite types of alterations of igneous rocks from epithermal deposits, etc.
More significant scientific equipment:
X-ray fluorescence instruments
VRA-2 and Muller Micro 111;
Atomic absorption analyzer Perkin-Elmer 3030;
Quantometre CPM-25, etc.
Possibilities for scientific co-operation:
Geochemistry of igneous, metamorphic
and sedimentary rocks;
Geochemistry of rare elements in granitoids and metamorphics;
Mineralogy and geochemistry of granitic pegmatites;
Geochemistry of lead isotopes in igneous and metamorphic rocks, and Pb/Pb radiogeochronology;
Geochemistry of elements in technogenic landscapes. Services offerred:
Flame photometry of alkaline elements; Silicate analysis of rocks and minerals;
AA Analysis of Pb, Zn, Cu, Ni, Co, Li, Fe, Ag, Au, Mn; Analysis of Ca, Mg, Mo, W, P, V.
igneous petrology (intrusive, extrusive and effusive rocks and complexes);
numerical petrology and computer modelling, petrological databases; low- and medium-temperature metasomatism related to hydrothermalism; experimental and theoretical modelling of metasomatic
processes. Services offerred: field and laboratory studies on metasomatic alterations in igneous and metamorphic rocks, applied to ore prospection for gold, copper, base metals, etc.
geochemistry web page
Petrology web pages
Last update 19.09.2006
Return to: Departments Page