The journal Geologica Balcanica was founded in 1934 by Prof. Stefan Bonchev . The journal has played a significant role in the dissemination of regional and conceptual contributions within the framework of the geological sciences in the Balkans. Since 2008 Geologica Balcanica is the official journal of the Carpathian-BalKan Geological Association (CBGA). It is published 3 times a year by the Geological Institute of Bulgarian Academy of Science and printed by the Academic Publishing House "Prof. Marin Drinov".
Geologica Balcanica welcomes original manuscripts covering all aspects of the geology of the Balkan Peninsula and surrounding regions. It is devoted primarily to research papers but short communications reflecting interesting results, regional syntheses, reviews and book reviews may also be considered. Short contributions and abstracts from recent workshops, symposia, congresses and any relevant scientific activity could also be accepted.