Head of the Department:
Res.Professor Ivan Zagorchev, D.Sc. Coresp. Member BAS
Res.Prof. Ivan Zagorchev, D.Sc. Coresp.Member BAS
Res.Prof. Christo Dabovski, D.Sc. Coresp.Member BAS
Assoc.Prof. Mitko Paskalev, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Jordan Maliakov, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Radoslav Nakov, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Vladimir Georgiev, Ph.D.
Assoc.Prof. Emil Vasilev, Ph.D.
Hristo Kiselinov Ph.D. Student
Former scientific staff members:
Prof. Ekim Bonchev, Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
(founder of the Department; Head of the Department from 1946 to 1986; deceased, 16.01.1992)
Julija Karagjuleva, Res. Prof. (Head of the Department from 1987 to 1990; retired)
Ivan Haydutov, Res.Professor, D.Sc.(Head of the Department from 1990 to 2001; retired)
Aleksandra Harkovska, Res.Professor, D.Sc. (retired)
Prof. Tzanko Tzankov, D.Sc. (retired)
Petar Gochev, Res.Professor, Ph.D. (deceased, 24.10.1994)
Vasil Vuchev, Res.Professor, D.Sc. (deceased, 02.11.2001)
Ivan Bojanov, Assoc.Prof., Ph.D. (deceased, 29.07.2003)
Vasil Kostadinov, Assoc.Prof., Ph.D. (deceased, 03.06.1992)
Sava Savov, Assoc.Prof., Ph.D. (retired)
Sava Stoyanov, Assoc.Prof., Ph.D. (retired)
Boyan Vrablianski, Res. Associate, Ph.D. (retired)
Zhivko Ivanov, Res. Associate, Ph.D. (since 1969 at the University of Sofia; professor, retired)
Ivan Batandzhiev, Res. Associate, Ph.D. (retired)
Stefan Shanov, Res. Professor, D.Sc. (now - Head of the Laboratory of Neotectonics and Seismotectonics)
Margarita Matova (Assoc.Prof.; now - at the Laboratory of Neotectonics and Seismotectonics)
- Geotectonics; Regional Geology and Structural Geology of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula;
- Comparative Geotectonics;
- Structural Geology and Structural analysis: Thrust and Fault Tectonics; Fold Tectonics; Strain Analysis;
- Geodynamics and Tectonophysics; Plate Tectonics
Some important projects:
- Geological evolution of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula
in the early Phanerozoic;
- Tectonic maps of Bulgaria on the scale 1:500 000;
- Geological evolution and aerialegeodynamics of Bulgaria in
the Mesozoic and Tertiary;
- Geodynamics and geological evolution of the Late Alpine superimposed
depressions in the East Rhodope Mts. and Upper Thrace;
Co-operation, consultations and special studies in the fields of:
of geodynamics, geotectonics and structural geology of the Balkan Peninsula and SE Europe;
co-operation in the theoretical aspects of structural analysis.
Last update 22.06.2006
Return to Departments Page